A Lovely Year is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases, at no cost to you.
I love the new year. To me, it feels like a wonderful time, full of promise and opportunity. It’s a time to dream, imagine and plan for all the great things that lie ahead. I love quotes too – here are some favourite new year quotes for getting inspired, cultivating happiness, and taking action – all of which will help to make the new year a lovely year for you.
Make a Fresh Start
New Year Quotes on Making a Fresh Start
Whatever happened last year (good and bad) is now in the past. The past can give us great memories, teach us lessons, make us laugh, and make us cry.
The new year gives us the opportunity to start over fresh. Where you go now, is in your hands. Just remember, that you can’t move forward if you are constantly looking back.
1. We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year’s Day. –Edith Lovejoy Pierce
2. You are never too old to reinvent yourself. –Steve Harvey
3. The new year stands before us, like a chapter in a book, waiting to be written. –Melody Beattie
4. You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream. –C.S. Lewis
5. With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts. –Eleanor Roosevelt
6. New year — a new chapter, new verse, or just the same old story? Ultimately we write it. The choice is ours. — Alex Morritt
7. Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right. — Oprah Winfrey
8. The best way to predict the future is to create it. — Abraham Lincoln
9. There are far better things ahead than any we leave behind. — C.S. Lewis
New Year Quotes on Cultivating Happiness
Happiness doesn’t just land in our laps, out of the blue. We can cultivate happiness. The science of positive psychology has proven that we can cultivate happiness through our thoughts, our actions, our choices and the decisions we take. Make the decision to be happy this year.
10. Your success and happiness lies in you. Resolve to keep happy, and your joy and you shall form an invincible host against difficulties. –Helen Keller
11. You do not find the happy life. You make it. — Camilla Eyring Kimball
12. Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year. –Ralph Waldo Emerson
It’s up to you. Start now to create the life you want.
New Year Quotes on Taking Action
Don’t wait until you feel “ready”, or until the stars are aligned, or the conditions are perfect. Don’t wait till Monday. If you want to make changes in your life, do it now.
Don’t let perfectionism hold you back. Find out how you can ditch perfectionism and still achieve your goals. In fact, you’re more likely to achieve your goals if you do!
You might not get it right straight away. You might make a mistake, or go off course and need to start again. But it’s progress. You’ll be moving towards the life you want to live.
13. The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is now. — Chinese proverb
14. It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves. –William Shakespeare
15. What the new year brings to you will depend a great deal on what you bring to the new year. –Vern McLellan
16. The beginning is the most important part of the work. –Plato
17. You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step. –Martin Luther King Jr
18. Whatever it is you’re scared of doing, do it. Make your mistakes, next year and forever. –Neil Gaiman
19. Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. –Abraham Lincoln
20. Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. –Henry David Thoraeu
Which new year quotes inspire you?
Save your favourites to your Pinterest boards, or print them out to stick into your bullet journal or planner. (If you are a subscriber you can also download a PDF copy of all the quotes in the A Lovely Year Resource Library).