A Lovely Year is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases, at no cost to you.
Do you have a self-care routine? Are you spending time looking after yourself?
Or do you have good intentions, but never quite get around to it?
I get it. There are times when we all (me included!) need a little extra motivation to inspire us to do the best thing for ourselves.
Even when we know what the right thing to do is, we just need a little jump start into action.
That’s one of the reasons I love quotes.
Quotes often confirm what we are thinking but in a more eloquent way. They reinforce what we already know is important, and give us not only inspiration and motivation but permission to take action.
My favourite self-care quotes
Several of my favourite self-care quotes refer to self-compassion – in other words, being kind to yourself. To me, this is one of the most fundamental parts of self-care.
Which of the following self-care quotes appeal to you? Save them to your Pinterest boards, or print them out and pin them up to remind and inspire you to be kind to yourself and to take care of the most important person in your life – you!
If you need some ideas for self-care, have a look at my post on why you should prioritize self-care, which includes over 50 self-care ideas for you to try.
1. “Put yourself at the top of your to-do list every single day and the rest will fall into place.”– Unknown
2. “When we give ourselves compassion, we are opening our hearts in a way that can transform our lives.”– Kristin Neff
3. “Self-compassion is simply giving the same kindness to ourselves that we would give to others. ” – Christopher Germer
4. “You are a VIP, a very important person so take care with self-care. If not you, who? If not now, when?” – Toni Hawkins
5. “Talk to yourself like you would to someone you love.” – Brené Brown
6. “Taking care of yourself doesn’t mean me first, it means me too.”– L.R. Knost
7. “Rest and self-care are so important. When you take time to replenish your spirit it allows you to serve others from the overflow. You cannot serve from an empty vessel.”– Eleanor Brownn
8. “Sometimes the most important thing in a whole day is the rest we take between two deep breaths. ” – Etty Hillesum
9. “Love yourself first, and everything else falls in line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world. ” – Lucille Ball
10. “You deserve your own compassion.”― Akiroq Brost
11. “Be kinder to yourself. And then let your kindness flood the world.”― Pema Chodron
12. “I have come to believe that caring for myself is not self-indulgent. Caring for myself is an act of survival.” — Audre Lorde
13. “As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.” — Maya Angelou
14. “There is enough time for self-care. There is not enough time to make up for the life you’ll miss by not filling yourself up.” — Jennifer Williamson
15. “Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you.” — Anne Lamott
Like this post?
Subscribe to my weekly updates and get instant access to A Lovely Year Resource Library.
Here you’ll find printable quotes, trackers and planners to help you live an intentional life you love.